Thursday 28 January 2016

APPREHENSIVE

This has been a special week for me personally, and somewhat emotional.

Tuesday was the 26th of January, the day after Burns Night, when dedicated Scots around the world celebrate the Bard, our national poet.

But it wasn't the aftermath of that days celebratory events which was special for me.

It was the fact that exactly 6 months ago to the day, I struck the tarmac head first at 25mph, on a lonely road in Wyoming USA, and everything changed. Since, it has been one medical surprise, and sometimes emergency, after another, but to a great degree, I am recovered.

To celebrate this recovery I thought it appropriate to finally take my bicycle out. This was a big moment, and I had been thinking about it since breakfast, over and over in my head, with butterflies in my stomach at the thought of cycling the very bike that has not been ridden since the crash. I used  a number of distractions to mostly take my mind off it, but to also avoid the act itself. I didn't think I'd feel quite so nervous.

One distraction technique was to visit a local wildlife pond in the local Figgate Park, where, for the past few weeks, there has been a Mandarin Duck visiting. I'd never heard of such a bird, so I was intrigued, and took the video camera up to see if I could catch a glimpse. I wasn't disappointed, as the photo below shows.



On the way home with the camera gear, I came up with the idea of filming a piece to camera on the bike about how I feel, and this helped me take the plunge. I changed into my cycling gear, and new helmet of course, and ventured out to the promenade along the beach to set everything up.

The moment arrived where the camera was running. This was it. The sun was shining. I got on the saddle, then nervously pulled the right peddle back, and pushed off.

I cried. I couldn't help it. I have tears in my eyes now writing this. How did I feel on the bike itself?

I loved it! I whizzed up and down, forgetting the camera was rolling. Then I did the piece to camera, which brought the emotion of the moment out again.


So it's done. I've been back on the bike that I've only ridden for a total of 10 days up to now.

Time to get fit.




2 comments:

Ross said...

Woo hooo! Well done mate, very well done. Glad to see you back on two wheels!

Rob said...

I second that!! Welcome back, Kitch! And what an awesome looking duck!!