Friday 27 April 2018

NEW PARENTS

One of the best things about where I live is the amount of bird life in my garden. Over the years I have created a safe haven, with cat proof fencing and lots of places for them to roost and hide. Every morning when I put food down for them it is as if the entire neighbourhood of birds flock to the garden, especially the Sparrows and Starlings.

But over the past few weeks I've noticed the Sparrows are not hanging out as much. Obviously it's mating time, and they're spending most of their time chasing each other, with acrobatic flying through the birch tree. The Starlings too seem busy, carrying thin twigs and feathers in their beaks. But I also started to notice that a Robin was in the garden a lot more than usual, always perched on the same branch.


And then a second one appeared, right beside the first. They were clearly together.


A week passed by and my thought was they were looking for a nest site. What a joy it would be if they settled in my garden.

Little did I know this was old news. They already had!

One morning I noticed they were taking great interest in the ivy right at my back door, where I come and go all the time. A week ago I spotted them both in the birch tree as I went out to feed the birds, and, as I stepped back into the house, I took a quick glance in the ivy, and there was a perfectly made little Robins nest.

Now Pauline and I were keeping our fingers crossed they would be successful. I read up on all the information I could find, about how they usually lay 4 eggs, one per day, then let them cool until all are laid, so that they hatch together.

Would they lay? Would they hatch?

Again, old news!

This morning both parents were out, and almost every time I saw them there was a bug or caterpillar in their beaks. At one moment they both flew off together into next doors garden, and with the back door already open, I sneaked a glance. I have a video camera set up at a distance as well, and was able to get a clear shot by zooming in.

Chicks!


The Robins perch on the birch on the same branch all the time. At first I thought they were staring at me as my kitchen window faces the tree. Clearly they are watching the nest. And they have a routine.




When one flies from the branch the other immediately takes its place. At one point I was watching one of them with a caterpillar, thinking it would fly to the nest. In the birch above it were four Starlings. The Robin flew off in the opposite direction with the bug. After a while it returned, same white bug in its beak. The Starlings were still there. Again it flew off in the opposite direction, eventually returning with the same bug again. This time the Starlings were gone, and the Robin made his delivery. Clearly he was diverting attention away from the nest.



I'm trying not to go out of my back door too much as the nest is inches away. Fingers crossed all continues well. I'm sure before I know it in a few days they will have fledged!

And finally, the Robin chicks are not the only new arrivals, with my friends Craig and Rachel celebrating the arrival of Rose. It will be a lot longer than a few days for them before their new arrival flies the nest.


No comments: