Sunday 11 March 2018

LIFE IS LIKE A CAMERA

I'm super late with my blog this week, but I have a great excuse . . .

It was my birthday!

So I'll be brief this week as I have cake to eat.

Finally I'm starting to act my age. I find I now make involuntary noises when I bend down to pick something up all the time; my hearing is getting worse; I pretend I've heard what someone has just said when I haven't at all, and I'm most definitely more grumpy about things like poor service and other people in my space. Though to be fair, I think I always have been.

I've never been a birthday party sort of person, and prefer to let it slide by each year unnoticed, except by my closest friends. Somehow though, the word had leaked out at the academy I teach at on a Saturday, and so I was treated to six separate renditions of Happy Birthday by the kids throughout the day. Which was nice.

Presents. Never mind what age I am, presents is always a welcome thing. And I'm very lucky, surround by very caring and generous friends who treat me to breakfast out, or go to great efforts in cooking a nice evening meal just for me, and it is especially nice to have some down time.

Then there's a mini adventure on bikes to look forward to soon, which will be a great break away from the seemingly never ending raft of projects I have going on. It's been full on lately, not least of which has been  taking great strides toward launching my own filmmaking workshops for young people. It has been, and continues to be, a long process, with challenges presented almost on a weekly basis. There's also that nagging fear that it may fail miserably, which then creates doubt about doing at all.

But, this afternoon, after a leisurely wander back from the city, I was chatting to my best friend Pauline, when she found a little wooden, heart-shaped sign, that one of my students had given me back at Christmas. The words written on it seemed rather poignant:

Life is like a camera
Capture the good times
Develop from the negatives
And if things don't work out
Take another shot


No comments: