Thursday 22 February 2018

INSPIRING

As many of my readers will know, I'm a filmmaker, but for the past six years I have diversified into teaching young people the skills to make movies. Currently I am in the process of shooting a number of short films with my regular group. This week I follow on from last weeks blog.

So it will not surprise you to know that last Sunday I watched the BAFTAs. For a change I found myself agreeing with many of the winning choices, most especially those for 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. I even found myself, alone on the sofa, applauding.

At the end they award The BAFTA Fellowship, which this year went to Ridley Scott, or should I say, Sir Ridley Scott. His speech had an air of sarcasm about it, mostly for never having been awarded a BAFTA for any of his films. This is surprising when you consider he is the man that brought us Alien; the original Blade Runner; Thelma & Louise; Gladiator; and most recently The Martian and All the Money In the World. And this last film had in its cast one of my teenage students, which was fun.

But it was his speech that inspired me. Read off cards, nervously bumbling in places, he talked about his career from the early days, involved in commercials and corporate film. That, he said, was his "film school", having never gone to university to study the art form. He then praised the teachers that had an influence on him, and talked about teaching being the most important profession.

I too learned my craft in corporate filmmaking, before I turned my attention to teaching it, but I am no professional teacher, as so many of my close friends are, but I do seem to have a natural flair for it. I also never had the opportunity to attend university and gain a degree, and therefore I can never become a full time teacher. But, it makes me proud to say, and even brings a little tear to my eye, that I have already guided a number of young people to start a path toward the film industry. To have a young person tell you when they leave your class that your lessons are the thing they enjoy the most, and then to thank you. Well, no degree can ever match that.

If I'm truthful, I have been finding my work difficult recently, mostly because I realise that in my mid 50s my own chances now are limited. But then, last Saturday, I watch a girl aged 13, directing actors and camera crew in making a short film, and feel happy that I gave her those skills that she's now making her own.

I've accepted that I will never attain my own dream of "making it", and will never find myself standing on the stage of the Royal Albert Hall accepting a BAFTA, but hopefully I can be satisfied with my contribution to these young peoples future careers.

Maybe one day one of them will stand up there accepting their BAFTA Fellowship award.


No comments: