Friday 27 October 2017

8 MORE WEEKS TO CHRISTMAS!

What a thought! But hang on, why be so down about that fact? I reckon our feeling of "oh no..." is borne not out of actual dislike of the season, but the earlier and earlier bombardment of adverts, and the stores displaying Christmas goods from as early as August! The period itself, for me anyway, is a great time of friends, food and relaxation. Oh, and presents, naturally. I'm not a religious person at all. I don't sign up to the so-called "real meaning" of Christmas from a Christian point of view. But then, isn't the "real" meaning of Christmas, peace, compassion and love?

Well, whatever it is to everyone, it is a fun time for most. Yes it can be a sad time, recalling lost ones, and maybe better times past, but it can also be a time to leave your troubles to one side, and surround yourself with close friends and family.

Then there's the food. Oh, and how I love the food. I am a traditionalist, albeit chicken instead of turkey, and though I say so myself, I do put on a good spread. A highlight of this is a traditional Christmas cake, and today that is precisely what I have been doing. I make two cakes every year, both gluten free, which is not difficult, given the tiny amount of flour required. Both are gifts to friends. I could never eat a whole one myself . . . I don't think.

Making them consumes most of a day, with a good hour or so for prep, and then keeping a watchful eye on the oven for two and a half hours. Times two of course.


From next week will come the careful "feeding" of the cakes with brandy. This will continue for about six weeks, at which time I will make my own marzipan and icing, and apply the finishing touches.

Satisfied with my efforts, during the baking time I ventured out for an Autumnal walk to the local Figgate Park. I was pleased to see that there was still some colour to be had from the wildflower meadow. Just over a month ago the meadow had been virtually all yellow, but it would seem the more colourful flowers have made their appearance later.


I sat a while watching the ducks, geese and swans on the pond, foraging for scraps of food, either from under the surface, or from people throwing various food items into the water for them to fight over. Normally the competition is fierce due to the large number of squabbling seagulls, but on this occasion they were obviously off somewhere else, creating an altogether more civilised foray.

After sipping a coffee in the late afternoon sunshine, I wandered back home in time to extract the golden brown creation from the oven.


No comments: