Friday 13 May 2016

FRIDAY THE 13th

Ahhh, Unlucky Friday the 13th.

Superstitious claptrap in my opinion.

If you believe certain things deeply enough they can become self fulfilling. I read about people all the time saying bad things happened to them on Friday the 13th. Coincidence folks.

Instead why not turn it on its head and make good things happen? All this week I've been telling just about everyone I meet just how busy I am. And it's good. I've had too long sitting on my bum getting over various stages of being unwell. I love being busy. Anyway, surprise surprise, I've become even busier!

Just this week alone I've built a new 7m long garden fence; assembled an entire bedroom set of furniture; filmed a set of very energetic young kids throwing paint everywhere for a day; edited a rough cut of a new 2 minute promo short; washed and tidied my car and van (first time in a year!) . . . and arranged a new mortgage for a rental flat!!

Then the phone just kept ringing today, Friday the 13th, to book me for even more work in the next few weeks!

So sometimes maybe obsessing can bring even more onto your plate . . . in a positive way.

The fear around Friday 13th has many origins, one of which is the Knights Templar. Supposedly that was when they were arrested in 1307. Some even associate it with the Last Supper of Christ, because there were 13 at the table, and that Judas Escariot who betrayed Jesus is documented as the 13th person at the table. But neither of these are the origin of the superstition. Until 1907 no one regarded it as unlucky. Then author Nathianiel Lachenmeyer published a book called Thirteen, which argued that before the 20th century 13 had always been an unlucky number, and that a Friday was an unlucky day, but the two together was never a concept.

This is the basis for Friday the 13th.

But if you're one of those that fears it, a friggatriskaidekaphobia (Frigg because Friday is named after the Norse goddess Frigg) as they are known, then you can relax after today. In 2016 there is only one, and it wont happen again until January.

 

No comments: