Thursday 28 November 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

I'm Scottish, so why am I writing a short blog about Thanksgiving, a North American tradition?

Thanksgiving has its origins in a celebration during the Fall of 1621 when a feast was given to give thanks for a good harvest. A very important harvest being the first of such for the early settlers. Though the "good harvest" would technically have happened well before the end of November, it is nevertheless set in tradition, and law, now that the fourth Thursday in November is the celebratory date.

In the UK we have a Harvest Festival, which is similar but isn't celebrated with a large gathering of family, friends, a lavish meal  and a large roast turkey at the centre.

But I do celebrate it in my heart, and always send wishes to my friends in America.  I will be forever grateful for the great cycle adventure across the USA in 2011, where I was on the receiving end of many a kindness and generous act. So, to all of the people I met and new friendships that were made, I hope you all have a great time.

I guess not so great for turkeys though.

No comments: