Sunday 7 April 2013

Seven Years In Regret

The weekend just passed marked seven years since I sold my deli and coffee shop. Obviously I would remember but it was a shame no one else did. At times I regret letting it go.

It was a great 15 years in the deli. So many wonderful memories. I had so many great staff, and so much help from close friends. It went from small beginnings to a medium sized business with 9 staff, and I miss it and all the people so much.

I can't honestly say I've replaced it successfully with anything, and I continue to feel a bit lost in direction. I still find it amazing that virtually every week someone from the local community will stop me and chat, recognising and still associating me with the deli. It's sad the subsequent owners made such a mess of things that today it is a shadow of its former self.

The most important friendship in my life started when I had the deli as well, which has endured for almost 20 years. I don't know what I'd do if I ever lost that. It's my pillar.

When I look back over my working life I'm surprised, and a little shocked, at the different career paths I've taken so far: a graphic design company; the Royal Air Force; advertising agency; printers; deli & coffee shop; handyman; film maker, most notably for the Dalai Lama; property landlord; business consultant, and most recently, teacher in film.  I turned self-employed in 1989, and I've made it this far, so hopefully I'll continue to create profitable business, though it is increasingly tough in these times.

Though my main goal just now is, following the great success of the trans-America cycle with Pauline, to return hopefully next year for another long-distance route, the Underground Railroad. I say hopefully because it looks increasingly uncertain as time goes on.

The important thing for the future is no regrets.

No comments: