Wednesday 8 February 2012

Market day

One of the challenges of working from home on your own is that you tend not to see very many people on a daily basis. In actual fact I can go many days without seeing anyone at all. This was not the case up to a few years ago, when I ran my own retail delicatessen, as I would meet upwards of two hundred people every day. I have a few friends locally, who themselves are self employed, or available during the day, and I think I take up far too much of their time phoning them with any excuse, just to have a conversation or meet for coffee on a regular basis.

So I've been on a bit of a mission to find something voluntary in my local community that will bring me into contact with more people, but I haven't had much success.

Then, a few weeks ago, I was offered the opportunity to take on the coordinators post for the local community's farmers market. Sadly it's not been doing very well, and numbers of customers and traders has fallen off sharply in the last few months. It is hoped that bringing my wealth of experience from my deli days to the market will help turn it around.

It demands about fifteen hours of my time each month, most of which occurs toward the end of the month in the lead up to market day. On the 7 April market I will be going all out to relaunch it with a new look, monthly entertainment and more traders.

Now all I need is good weather and hungry shoppers.

Speaking of weather; last week I wrote about Punxsutawney Phil, the worlds most famous groundhog. Well, I'm afraid Phil definitely saw his shadow, so 6 more weeks of winter folks!

No comments: